cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:46:35 -0500 (EST)

I seem to remember reading back in teh day of share ware
and free ware that putting "this code is public domain"
was not enough to make it public domain.

unless that's changed, then the PD dedication is a license
that licenses away all rights to everyone, while true public domain
means you no rights to license because the copyright term
has expired.

functionally the work is treated teh same.

But my understand is with a PD dedication, the term
is still in effect, it's just that the rights have
been licensed away.

I suppose the case that will prove it one way or another
is if Congress retroactively adds moral rights to all
works currently under active copyright terms. Could
someone sue to assert their moral rights after they
licensed away their other rights?

Until then, it is all hair-splitting.

the law might have changed since the days of free ware
and share ware warnings against saying "this code is
public domain" though.

So, I'm willing to learn something new, if that's the case.