cc-licenses - Re: Simple question about CC license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Matthijs Abeelen <mpabeelen AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Simple question about CC license
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:07:16 +0100

On 1 Feb 2005, at 7:49, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-02 at 08:20 +0100, Matthijs Abeelen wrote:

> > I read the legal text, but I'm still not sure about the following: I
> > am making a website for a friend and want to use a photo gallery
> > system distributed under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0
> > License. I make the website for free, but the photographer is going
> > to use the gallerysystem for his photos, which off course he wants
> > to sell.
> >
> > Is that allowed?
>
> As far as I can tell, no. I don't speak for Creative Commons, though.

It doesn't seem to be intention of CC to infect non-derivative works
with its licenses, but from what I understand, it is indeed unclear
whether he would be allowed to sell the photos.

> > If not, I'll have to make my own gallery system.
>
> What?! Of course you don't! There's a whole slew of image gallery
> programs that are Open Source and available for commercial and
> non-commercial use alike. At the very least, try iGal:

Open Source is a marketing term that refers to a type of development
methodology. The CC-licenses could be used for Open Source software,
for instance, so you would still be none the wiser.

I would advise to look for specific licenses, so that you do not end
up with the same kind of problem. GPL does not limit usage; you can
use a GPL program to produce or present non-GPL-ed photos, as long as
the photos aren't part of the gallery software itself.

(IANAL etc.)

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl