cc-licenses - Re: Simple question about CC license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Matthijs Abeelen <mpabeelen AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: Simple question about CC license
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:49:42 -0500

On Tue, 2005-01-02 at 08:20 +0100, Matthijs Abeelen wrote:
Hi,
I read the legal text, but I'm still not sure about the following: I am
making a website for a friend and want to use a photo gallery system
distributed under  Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 License. I make
the website for free, but the photographer is going to use the gallerysystem
for his photos, which off course he wants to sell.

Is that allowed?
As far as I can tell, no. I don't speak for Creative Commons, though.
If not, I'll have to make my own gallery system.
What?! Of course you don't! There's a whole slew of image gallery programs that are Open Source and available for commercial and non-commercial use alike. At the very least, try iGal:

http://www.stanford.edu/~epop/igal/

...and Gallery:

http://gallery.sf.net/

Here's a Google search for "Open Source Web photo gallery":

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Open+Source%22+Web+photo+gallery

Good luck!

~Evan

--