cc-licenses - Stealing ideas?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Scott Rubin <slr2777 AT cs.rit.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stealing ideas?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:31:56 -0500

Ok, so I have a blog, and I have it licensed with the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 license. It is very good. However, I am wondering just one thing. NonCommercial obviously means that nobody can take what I wrote in the blog and publish it for money. Or use the text that I wrote in a way to further themselves financially. That is obvious. But what if in my blog I write down a new idea I came up with. Say a truly original idea for a new product. If someone reads my blog and makes that product before I do, what rights do I have? Can I sue them for stealing my idea, considering that in truth they really did steal my idea? I wouldn't care if they thought it up individually or even before I thought it up. I'm just curious because I do post a lot of new ideas in my blog, and if someone else got rich off of something I thought up, I would feel pretty shitty. Especially if it was someone who was already rich, and possibly "bad". Like if Microsoft all of a sudden made some software I thought up and got millions or billions of dollars for it. That would suck.

-Scott