cc-licenses - Re: Does people have to share the "source code"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does people have to share the "source code"?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:00:31 +0100

On Saturday, August 28, 2004, at 01:51PM, Gottfried Hofmann
<toddd AT mypse.goracer.de> wrote:

>>> That's why I wanted to switch to CC, but unfortunately, CC 2.0 does
>>> not provide CC-SA anymore, but that is another story...
>>

>> Heh. :-) Apparently you can pre-emptively waive attribution on SA.
>
>Apparently this does not remove the attribtuion restrictions for derived
> works because ppl who modify my work can require attribution this way.
>So the attribution restriction is not there in the first place, but in
>the second.

That's a good point. So waiving BY isn't transitive, and therefore is not
like ~BY for derived works.

>> Yes. In particular it passes on this requirement, which even if you
>> choose to provide source with CC, you can't require of others.
>
>If you want ppl just to waive attribution, you can also tell them to add
>the sources their sources but not require it for oithers. Exactly the
>same thing.

IANAL, IMHO:

Attribution and requiring source are separate issues. Requiring source as a
non-license request is possible but innefective. That is, I can politely ask
people to add source, but if they don't I can't do anything as it isn't a
condition of the license. If they do so, and if they do pass on that request,
peole are still free to ignore it.

- Rob.