cc-licenses - Re: Does people have to share the 'source code'?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: toddd AT mypse.goracer.de, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Does people have to share the 'source code'?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:29:59 -0400 (EDT)

Gottfried Hofmann said:
> 1st: What a about a foto of a car for example? The "source" would be the
> car itself, which I of course cannot provide.

I think "source" is interpreted as "human generated files".
files can be copyright-ed, your physical car cannot.
For any content to be copyrightable, it must have some
"artistic" input, meaning purely machine generated writings
are not copyrightable. If your infinite number of monkeys
cranks out the next pullitzer prize winning novel, it might
be arguable that it isn't protected by copyright.

> 2nd: The "source" for my audio files can not be provided because I
> cannot save the history with my program

History isn't required, only the raw material files that were
human generated. if this is a raw photo of a car and a raw photo
of a supermodel, and the rest is manual labor to assemble the two,
then you'd be looking at three photos that qualify as "source"
car, supermodel, supermodel-in-car.