cc-licenses - Re: SourceForge and CreativeCommons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: SourceForge and CreativeCommons
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:57:58 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
I have no idea why this hasn't happened yet, nor if it's going to
happen. Being interested in Creative Commons in 2004 is a lot like
being a Kremlin-watcher in 1979.

Ouch. I was really hoping to engender 1930s-style hagiography, not 1970s skepticism. CC needs more propaganda and purges, not more openness! :-)

* I, personally, think that this is probably bad advice on the part of
Creative Commons, by the way. Despite Richard Stallman's
protestations, there is not a hard-and-fast line between software and
other forms of creativity, and the CC licenses should be able to deal
with any digital artifact.

Whatever line exists is getting fuzzier as more stuff has embedded code, art included. That's no excuse for purposefully avoiding one of the well-accepted software licenses for your news client (i.e., software application -- all software eventually can read usenet -- or is it mail, I can't find the quote).

--
Mike Linksvayer