cc-licenses - Re: Attribution discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Attribution discussion
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:45:05 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> I guess my main point is that the Attribution section is the only
> place in the Creative Commons licenses where you're required to keep
> the copyright notice. If there's no Attribution section (as with nc
> 1.0, nd 1.0, sa 1.0, nc-sa 1.0, et. al.), there's no requirement to
> keep copyright notices.

I dunno. I keep reading CC-BY-NC-20 (alphanumeric soup now)
and it sounds like the Copyright Notice is mandatory.
I suppose if the original work doesn't contain a notice,
then derivative works don't need a notice. But doesn't a
notice protect against claims of "innocent infringement"?
And if you're going the NC route, aren't you looking to
protect your commercial interests, and would therefore
want a copyright notice even if you dont want "attribution".

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.