cc-licenses - Re: In Sync

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: In Sync
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:16:10 -0400 (EDT)

Home-compile. yeah, I guess that's what you'd call it.
The GNU-GPL specifically allows home-compiling as a way
for people to compile AllRightsReserved software with
GNU-GPL software. Until recently, I thought it was
legal only because the GNU-GPL allowed it. But then
doing more copyright research, it occurred to me as
not a function of being granted by GNU-GPL, but more
a function of copyright as "property" and ANYONE
can home-compile or create-derived-works-at-home,
they just cant distribute the newly created work.

That's why I was a little concerned by the wording
in the 2.0 license. It sounded like I was completely
off base. And it would have shot my video shorts
idea completely out of the water.

I've got a bunch of movie shorts ideas that
would create a complete movie version of my
book, and I have certain AllRightsReserved
songs that go with certain scenes.

might need some kind of mpeg-video/mp3-audio
mixer so people can "compile" a final version
in their homes rather than having to "queue"
the music and video simultaneously.