cc-licenses - Re: Concerns about CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Concerns about CC licenses
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:51:27 -0400

GL> If there are any "compliance" issues around CC-NC works, my
GL> guess is that at some point a case will come up where the
GL> original author mistakenly used CC-NC on a collaborative work,
GL> accepted contributions from other people, and attempted to
GL> retain a monopoly on the commercial rights to the
GL> collaborative work.

I agree with everything you wrote. I think the main problems with
using Creative Commons licenses are with hard-to-define gray areas,
namely:

1) What is a derivative work?
2) What is a commercial use?

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but I think the first
one has at least some kind of definition in copyright law and
precedent. I don't know how much the second one does.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/