cc-licenses - Concerns about CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "support" <support AT goldbytes.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Concerns about CC licenses
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:48:02 -0400

Hello, I'm new to the list and am intriqued by Creative Commons but I'm
concerned about its usefulness and direction. My main
concern about copyright is that I don't believe that it is a very efficient
business model. A lot of wasted resources go into
enforcement (lawyers, license, tracking down violators, etc.) My concern
about CC is that it is built on the same framework as
copyright. That basically, the original producer has all rights and is
choosing to relinquish some of them in some standardized
form via the CC license. The problem still remains in the rights you are
"reserving" namely the cost of enforcing those rights. In
reading through other postings, I've seen concern already over legal minutae
in application of the CC licenses. Here are several
variations on commercial use that may or may not be what the producer intends
to allow or disallow under the CC licenses:

1) outright sale
2) no direct sale but sale of derivative works
3) advertiser supported free distribution
4) what about a file sharing system where central server service provider
collects money but doesn't actually host the content,
thats done by its members who don't directly benefit
5) what if an ISP allows file sharing among its subscribers for free (but
obviously charges a monthly fee for internet service)
6) what if the users of a file sharing system use an upload / download
credit system, you upload one song to me then you can
download one song from me
7) what if the up/down credits are resellable on the open market "I have 50
credits for $20 I'll sell you"

I'm just concerned that as we see demand for 'controlling' these variations
(ala Share Alike, Sampling, Translations, etc) in the
licenses issued by CC that it will just spiral out of control with dozens of
different licenses and be no more useful than current
All Rights Reserved.

Jason Cronk
EOE Inc
support AT goldbytes.com