cc-licenses - Re: keeping CC-SA free

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: keeping CC-SA free
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 16:17:02 +0100
On 30 Apr 2004, at 23:16, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

Apache has been far more successful <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html> versus Microsoft. Apache is not copylefted.

It had a BSD-style license. The new license is GPL 2.0 incompatible, GPL 3 will allegedly look at patent requirements.

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html

IMHO Apache would have been as successful with a strong license as it's a better mousetrap.