cc-licenses - Re: General Questions about Licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: General Questions about Licensing
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:45:00 -0400

>Message: 3
>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
>Subject: Re: General Questions about Licensing
>To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts"
>    <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
>Howdy!
>
>Trademark has to be defended by the owner or
>it can become public domain. If you try to
>trademark "Kleenex (tm) tissue paper", and
>then everyone starts calling all tissue paper
>a Kleenex, then you, as trademark holder,
>have to show effort in keeping "Kleenex" a
>trademark, an adjective, or else it can fall
>into a normal common noun in english use,
>which is public domain, and not your exclusive
>property anymore.

---- To clarify, if I had an actual, fully legal trademark and did not defend
it, at some point it would become public domain? If this is true, then it
solves a great number of potential issues for me. My fear was to establish a
TM, formally, legally, and then if I allowed others to share my work, the
trademark could somehow be taken away by a 3rd party person or company and
then have them claim ownership of it. So, if I am understanding this
correctly, a true legal trademark is either owned by a company or person, or,
if not defended, it falls into the public domain? As along as it can't be
taken away used exclusively by another entity, that clears a lot issues.

Thank you!!!

MLF