cc-licenses - Re: Request to remove name

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request to remove name
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:10:31 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> "If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor
> You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective
> Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as
> requested. If You create a Derivative Work, upon notice from any
>
> "If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
> publicly digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or
> Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for
> the Work and give the Original Author credit reasonable to the
> medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name (or
> pseudonym if applicable) of the Original Author if supplied;"

> Could this be used to arbitrarily revoke the license? "I want you to
> remove my name, which you have to do under the license, but you can't
> redistribute this work or derived works without my name, so you just
> can't redisribute at all."

evil thoughts, man. ;)

I can't imagine a court case deciding that a request to
remove an author's name allows the author to claim
infringement or breach of license/contract or whatever.

The "intent" of the Author, in using that license, would
not seem to support arbitrary revokation.

however, in a lawsuit happy world, it might be of
value to clarify the license.