cc-licenses - Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tom Morris <tom AT bbcity.co.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:24:57 +0100

On 16 Apr 2004, at 05:47, Brian Boyko wrote:

I cannot do that without either taking the copyright away from them, or by requiring Creative Commons work.

What I would like to do is require those who sign up to the forum to agree to an "opt-out" creative commons license that has the attribution and share-alike provisions. If a person does not want a specific post under the Creative Commons licence, I'd like them to have to say that in the post "This work is not governed by the Creative Commons License." If a particular poster (for whatever reason) wants to retain the copyright to ALL his work (including offhand comments) he can simply put that statement into his signature file.

I'll muddle through the technical details, but how would I go about finding a licence like that?

Simple. Make it so that when people sign up for the forum they are asked whether or not they agree with a provision saying that they licence all their content under CC licence of your choice. If they do, you include it. If they don't, you don't.

--
Tom Morris
http://www.bbcity.co.uk