cc-licenses - RE: time stamping and digitally signing licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Brian Clark" <bclark AT radzone.org>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: time stamping and digitally signing licenses
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:36:07 -0500

>I also fail to see what benefits the timestamps or
>digital signatures provide.

Actually, it would have helped in the situation I posted about yesterday.
Yesterday, this photo was marked as "public domain":

http://cjid.buzznet.com/user/?id=99597

But, since Buzznet took off "public domain" as the default, the page no
longer has any CC license.

So if someone used the file when it was marked as "public domain" and now
the rights have changed ... how would they now prove that on the date they
used that photo the rights were displayed as open? Short of having a cache
file or an archive.org cache, there'd be no ability to prove that the CC
mark was displayed there.

If CC acted as a repository of timestaps, then we've got something different
... if I'm in doubt as to whether a public domain notice is legitimate, I
can check to see if it has been reported to CC (perhaps as part of the
search engine?)

It doesn't mean that CC has to certify ... just chronicle in case of future
issues.

Brian