cc-licenses - Re: How to tag html pages

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How to tag html pages
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:17:18 -0800

Jeroen Budts wrote:
I whas thinking about the following sentence (based on the sickbuglog
[3]):
"All content on this weblog (including text, photographs and any other
original works), unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative
Commons License."

Makes sense to me.

But then I have to questions: when I use a picture from another server
(by example a logo) (without copying it to my server) does it then
also licensed under the cc according to the sentence, because it then
is content of my weblog? Or am I wrong? Could this be solved by adding
something like "... any other original works, and only from this
domainname (budts.be))..."?

Good question. I don't know whether referencing an image on another
server makes the image part of the content of your weblog. If you want
to be extremely cautious, you could treat external images the same as
those you copy...

And what about content I do copy to my webserver which I didn't
create? Should I explicitly add: 'this picture is not licensed under
the CC' or 'this picture is (c) 2004 example.org'? Or is this not
necessary because my sentence says: "...original works.."?

I think you'd want to make clear that the picture is copyright someone
else, not an original work, or both.

IANAL, etc.

--
Mike Linksvayer