cc-licenses - Re: DJ mixing and derivative works?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: DJ mixing and derivative works?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:03:56 -0600

So does unmodified really mean that the particular tune must be played start to finish, and cannot even be faded out for the DJ to talk over it, for example?

I'm no lawyer, but I expect that fading it and talking over it is not considered a derivative work, but pure performance (and thus allowed). Otherwise it would be illegal to talk over a CD that was playing or adjust the volume on your television.

--
Aaron Swartz: http://www.aaronsw.com/