cc-licenses - DJ mixing and derivative works?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Simon Carless <simoniker AT slashdot.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: DJ mixing and derivative works?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:50:28 -0800

Hey all,

Not sure if this has been answered anywhere, but I thought I'd ask on this list to see if anyone can explain it simply.

What's the exact definition of derivative works with regard to DJs mixing a music set? For example, if a DJ decides to play a particular piece of music from start to finish without any interruptions, my impression is that this isn't a derivative work. However, if he beatmatches and blends one song and the next song together, is that a derivative work, under Creative Commons licensing?

I note that the definition in the legal part of the document deals with:

*"Collective Work"* means a work, such as a periodical issue, anthology or encyclopedia, in which the Work in its entirety in unmodified form, along with a number of other contributions, constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled into a collective whole.

So does unmodified really mean that the particular tune must be played start to finish, and cannot even be faded out for the DJ to talk over it, for example?

Just trying to get a handle on this particular angle - trying to widen out the scope of CC licenses for various projects I help with so it's as wide as possible.

Regards,
Simon.