cc-licenses - Licensing ideas and online communication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Maxim Oustiougov <maxust AT usa.net>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Licensing ideas and online communication
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:04:45 -0800

Hello, everyone!

I have been thinking lately about how to engage people to post their ideas
online and facilitate discussion of my ideas. One of the problems seems to be
the general belief that once you say something out loud (especially on
Internet), it can be exploited without you ever getting anything for it.

Now, I won't go into non-traceable ideas (something that has been said, but
there is no physical trace of it - except in the person's mind :-). Much more
interesting topic is something traceable - for instance, a weblog post.

First of all - does default copyright apply to ideas, or just to the form in
which they have been expressed (i.e., does it apply to an idea expressed in
the blog post, or the post itself)? As far as I understand, anything that uses
the idea would be considered a derivative of the post which contained it - how
does default copyright handle it?

Second - what would be the best license option, from Creative Commons point of
view, to protect content on a blog from being commercially exploited, or being
used without a credit (attribution)? Would a combination of BY+NC work for
this purpose? Our would NC be enough? Would it really cover derivative from
IDEAS in the posts (again, it goes back to the first point).

Third - if one wants to allow certain rights to content of an e-mail, what
would be the best option (technically and CC-wise) to do that? Besides e-mail,
there are also comments on forums or blogs, reviews on web sites, etc.
Commonly, commercial web sites collecting reviews and comments (not in blogs)
claim copyright and ownership on them as soon as they are posted - is there a
good way to combine the rights of a site owner with the rights of the author?

If that's too many topics for one post, I'll split it - just let me know :-).

Maxim Oustiougov.