cc-licenses - Re: Compilation copyright

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment AT gmx.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Compilation copyright
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:23:40 +0100

On Montag 15 Dezember 2003 18:25, Sunir Shah wrote:
> Thomas writes,
>
> >> Copyrights are about morality, not legality.
> >
> > No. They are about money.
>
> Money is about morality too, before we forget.

In capitalism, money regulates the economy. Therefore it can be
considered useful to some extent. OTOH, money divides the
society into rich and poor, into those who have it and those who
owe it, causing unequality. Unequality is clearly immoral.

I have never heard about someone considering money as something
about morality, yet.

> Copyright for online communities *is* about morality,
> not about cash.

You can use it for whatever you want. Sometimes tanks are used to
build roads, but although this is sometimes done, their primary
purpose is still to kill and destroy.

> It's there to allow people the legal
> room to talk freely.

I don't need such room to talk freely.

> > BTW: IMHO, you can't get a compilation copyright on a wiki,
> > [blahblah]

> anonymous copyrights default to the publisher until they can
> be adequately proven otherwise.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

And I think I'm pretty sure there is no such rule in the German
Authors Rights Law.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."