cc-licenses - GFDL <--> CC license compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bayle Shanks <bshanks AT ucsd.edu>
  • To: gnu AT gnu.org, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: GFDL <--> CC license compatibility
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:27:09 -0800

Hello,
I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'd like to add my voice to
let you know that some communities I'm involved in are having problems
with the incompatibility between the GFDL and CC licenses. It sure
would be nice to be able to have a document that can accept content
from both GFDL and CC sources, and also donate content to both GFDL
and CC sources.

I would recommend that new versions of the GFDL and at least the CC
by-sa license be issued which each allow the license to be converted
to the other.

For more context, I am involved with some wikis which want to produce
and use open content. One wiki (CommunityWiki) triple-licenses all
content so that it will be maximally reusable. (see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/community/CommunityWikiLicense). GFDL
and ShareAlike are two of the three licenses. We
figure that this way any content we create will be able to be adopted
by either GFDL or ShareAlike sites. But it prohibits us from adopting
any content from almost anywhere.

Another wiki (WikiTravel) has chosen the CC by-sa license because they
feel the GFDL is too restrictive for the wiki environment.

(http://www.wikitravel.org/article/Wikitravel:Why_Wikitravel_isn%27t_GFDL)

However, this prohibits them from importing content from WikiPedia,
the GFDL wiki encyclopaedia, which is a shame as it is pretty likely
that no WikiPedia contributors would have wanted that outcome.

Thanks,
bayle

  • GFDL <--> CC license compatibility, Bayle Shanks, 11/29/2003