cc-licenses - Re: Need Help with Dual Licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment AT gmx.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Need Help with Dual Licensing
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:15:28 +0100

Hi Evan, (IANAL TINLA)

On Donnerstag 13 November 2003 02:47, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> TUG> The problem I see here is that Evan is not the
> TUG> copyright holder, but the various contributors. So, in
> TUG> order to change the license, he would have to ask all
> TUG> contributors, which is quite impossible, because most of
> TUG> them are anonymous.
>
> The question of dual licensing has only come up in terms of
> works with single authors. I've written a little bit of
> documentation on dual licensing here:

I was not talking about dual licensing here. What I try to say is
that if CC is creating new versions of their licenses, this will
not affect existing articles, because they are licensed under
version 1.0.

This is different to the situation of Wikipedia. It is licensed
with the "or any later version" option. So, if the FSF creates a
new version of the GFDL, the whole Wikipedia will automatically
be dual licensed. So, theoretically, the FSF could make future
versions of the GFDL CC-compatible.

> http://www.wikitravel.org/article/Wikitravel:Dual_licensing
>
> It's been nothing but a hassle, and I hope that a change to
> the *-SA-* licences will make it go away for good.
>
> TUG> However, large parts seem to be imported from the CIA
> TUG> factbook (PD?), and most of the edits seem to be only
> TUG> minor edits (additions of single words or short
> TUG> sentences) that can TUG> hardly be copyrighted.
>
> I have to protest at this. You give our project extremely
> short shrift, and I suggest you take another look at the site.
> Many of the articles for countries were in fact based on CIA
> factbook information, but those are a minority. We have 700+
> guides right now, covering cities, regions, and countries
> around the globe.

It was not my intention to insult you. This was just the
impression I had from clicking the Random Page button several
times. If there are lots of valuable articles, it is sad to see
them trapped in their current situation.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."