cc-licenses - Re: Combining CC licensed material with software code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Combining CC licensed material with software code
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:59:17 -0800

A could license the rules under a Creative Commons license that does not
include a share alike provision, a prohibition on derivative works, or a
noncommercial restriction; in other words -- the attribution only
license. Only the share alike provision acts like a "copyleft" license,
as you imagine here, and only the noncommercial restriction prevents
someone from making some for-profit use from a work.