cc-licenses - Combining CC licensed material with software code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per AT leftist.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Combining CC licensed material with software code
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:22:28 +0000 (GMT)

Lets say person A writes a pen-and-pencil roleplay game rulebook and puts
this under the Creative Commons Attribution license. Then person B wants
to write a computer game which uses and implements these rules. In doing
so, B would have to use portions of the rulebook in his game code.

As far as I can tell, this would be a problem. Now B's computer program
would be (or could easily be argued to be) a Derived Work off A's
rulebook.

The Creative Commons licenses are wordy, and I suppose would conflict
easily with common open source licenses in use today (GPL and LGPL for
example). Also, if B wanted to write a closed source game, things could
also get tricky. B's lawyers would probably be frightened of having the CC
license applying (or possibly applying) to B's entire work, even if they
could add additional restrictions.

Now this was not A's intention at all. A wants everyone to be able to use
his work as long as they give due credit. Is there a way for A to license
his work so that such issues do not arise, using a well-known license?

Thanks for any response.

- Per