cc-licenses - Question concerning definition of non-commercial use...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Scott Neokyo <neokyo80 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Question concerning definition of non-commercial use...
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:32:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am interested in creative commons licenses, but I
have a few questions concerning the definition of
non-commercial use? Here are a few examples that are
unclear to me (assume all music files are covered
under a non-commercial CC license)

a.) A website distributes many music files, which is
the main focus to the site. The site makes money on
advertising.

b.) A website distributes many music files, which is
the main focus to the site. The site is subscription
only.

b.) A website distributes many music files, which is
only one part of the site (it also offers, news,
e-mail, I don't know, whatever). The site is
subscription only.

d.) I burn a CD full of music files and ask for $2 for
my time and material costs. (much like selling a copy
of Linux)

e.) If I make the a song, and distribute it, and
license it under the CC non-commercial, would there be
any problem with ME selling it as I see fit?
Understanding that other people could legally give it
away?

Thanks for your help!
-Scott