cc-licenses - Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:47:00 -0400

So, Alice does a song and puts it under an Attribution license. Bob
does a DJ mix of the song and puts his derivative work under an
Attribution-ShareAlike. Is that OK? Is that not OK?

Carla writes a thesis paper on compiler design and puts it under an
Attribution license. David uses parts of the thesis in his
documentation for David's Kool Kompiler (DKK), which he puts under the
GNU FDL. Is that OK? Is that not OK?

It would be nice to know which licenses can apply to derivative works
of works under other licenses, wouldn't it? Maybe a little tree
diagram on the Web site somewhere, that lists the CC licenses (plus
maybe the recommended GFDL), and what licenses can be applied to
derivative works.

It might also be nice to have the "choose license" tool:

http://creativecommons.org/license/

...have a field for an URL to a Work that my work might be derived
from. The tool could scrape the RDF (or ID3, whatever) at that
location and determine what license I can put my Derivative Work
under. Wouldn't that be helpful?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>