cc-licenses - Or Any Later Version

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Or Any Later Version
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:08:24 -0400

So, hello again. I've got another question about using CC licenses,
which is about how to associate a Work with some version of a CC
license, _or_any_later_version_.

I know I keep harping on the GNU licenses (Why can't you be more like
your big brother, Creative Commons? :-)) but there's an explicit
section, FUTURE REVISIONS OF THIS LICENSE, in each of the GNU
licenses, specifying how future revisions of the license will work,
and there's the "or any later version" verbiage in the "how to use"
section:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html#SEC4

So, how can I say that I trust Creative Commons to make good
decisions about licenses, and to continue to improve them? Right now,
I'm pretty sure that if a by-sa 1.1 came out, people couldn't build
Derivative Works off of my work and use the new license.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/