cc-jp - Re: [Cc-jp] Let's start the "Cc-jp" mailing list!

cc-jp AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Andreas Bovens <andreas.bovens AT student.kuleuven.ac.be>
  • To: cc-jp AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-jp] Let's start the "Cc-jp" mailing list!
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:44:08 +0200

Hi,

I am Andreas Bovens, a 4th year student of Japanese Studies at the Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium) and am interested in copyright problems on the internet. Check out my CC licensed weblog (URI displayed below this mail) for more info.
Also: sorry if my Japanese is sloppy - I am not a native speaker ;-)

First, a question: which encoding is to be used for mails containing Japanese text? UTF-8 or JIS? Any preferences?

Second, a first remark:
Point 2 of each license refers to the concept of "Fair Use":

*2. Fair Use Rights.* Nothing in this license is intended to reduce, limit, or restrict any rights arising from fair use, first sale or other limitations on the exclusive rights of the copyright owner under copyright law or other applicable laws.

In Japanese:

*2. フェアユース*

この使用許諾によって、著作権法又は他の適用法の下の著作権者の排他的権利 に関する、フェアユース、消尽原則又は他の制限から発生するいかなる権利も 縮小・制限・限定されるものではない。

The text clearly starts from the American concept of Fair Use and then, *also* refers to "other limitations" (e.g. "limitations on rights" in the Japanese Copyright Law - 権利制限). If we want to bring the license in line with the Japanese legislation, which doesn't define "Fair Use", isn't it better to put it the other way around, entitling the section as 権利制限 and then, besides talking about these "limitations on rights", *also* mentioning the American "Fair Use" notion. Something like:

<idea>

*2. 権利制限
*

この使用許諾によって、著作権法又は他の適用法の下の著作権者の排他的権利 に関する、権利制限、消尽原則又はフェアユースから発生するいかなる権利も 縮小・制限・限定されるものではない。

</idea>
It's just a slight difference in nuance, but well, just a thought.
Best.
Andreas

--
Andreas BOVENS | http://japanology.arts.kuleuven.ac.be/andreas/