cc-hk - [Cc-hk] Fwd: A Personal Call for Donation to Wikipedia

  • From: Haggen So <haggenso AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-hk <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] Fwd: A Personal Call for Donation to Wikipedia
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:28:37 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <yuyu AT wikimedia.hk>
Date: 2009/12/1
Subject: A Personal Call for Donation to Wikipedia

--------------Please help us to spread around --------------
http://www.wikimedia.hk/images/Letterhead.jpg

中文版隨英文版之後

Dear Friends

We are actually writing to present a new way of donating to Wikipedia via Wikimedia Hong Kong (WMHK).

As you might hear or even donated before, in the last three months of every year, the Wikimedia Foundation will have an annual fundraising.

From last year, Wikimedia Foundation had invites chapters to involve with such annual process, and dividing the received donation from the particular jurisdiction 50/50 with the regional chapter there.

As the Hong Kong Chapter of Wikimedia, we are excited to join the program this year.

Under such program, you have two choices when you decide to donate to Wikimedia, either go to the Foundation directly or come through us.

We are obviously suggesting the second way to you, because WMHK is one of the Charitable Institutions of a Public Character exempt from tax under section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance.

So if you are chargeable to salaries tax, personal assessment or profits tax, you can claim deduction for the aggregate of approved charitable donation up to 35% of the assessable income or profits, with your donation to us is less than $100.

However, the Wikimedia Foundation has 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in the United States, so your direct donation to the Foundation may not enjoy such favourable refund, unless you have some business in the States.

As Wikimedia Hong Kong taking part in the chapter fundraising program, the donation to us is the same to donation Foundation, as we will share our donation 50/50 to Foundation too.

As all of you might know that, Wikipedia's survival & daily operation rely heavily on the donations to Wikimedia Foundation. We actually need quite a lot of funding for various purposes & initiatives, from basic ones like maintaining the servers to coup with larger & larger database, to the global ones like supporting chapter building movements in different countries.

Wikimedia Hong Kong a local non-profit making NGO, whose work aims to help collecting & spreading free knowledge and to support the Wikimedia projects, for example Wikipedia. Promoting free culture along with local counterparts is another important mission. In other words, our major task is helping the Foundation to deal the local press, and other local PR & outreach work. Such work though are mostly done by volunteers, some administrative costs is expected, as well as administrative cost to maintain the chapter as a non-profit making company.

As we are still scrambling for an online donation platform, we suggest you to donate directly to our bank account, either to the account listed below in Chong Hing Bank:

  • Name: Wikimedia Hong Kong Ltd
  • A/C No. : 041-258-20-900305-8

or make your cheque payable to Wikimedia Hong Kong Limited,
and send it to P.O. Box 73859, KOWLOON CENTRAL POST OFFICE, HONG KONG.

If you require further information, please feel free to contact with Morgan Chan, our Administrative Assistant for Outreach Commission, at +852 6623-0937.

We also attached a copy of our sponsorship program launched recently. Please do not hesitate if you would like to support us in a long term

We are looking forward to your coming generous support to us!

Jeromy-Yu Chan, President
Rover Wong, Acting Commissioner for Outreach
Wikimedia Hong Kong

各位朋友

假如你經常維基百科的動態,便會留意到每年維基媒體基金會,都會舉行年度籌款活動,以維持維基百科和其他計劃的營運。而我們即將向來介紹一個新的捐款模式──通過香港維基媒體協會(WMHK)捐款給維基百科。

在2008年,維基媒體基金會首次邀請各地分會參與籌款,並將在某區域的收益和當地分會五五分成。而我們做為維基媒體的地方分會,今年首次參與這個計劃。

而在這個計劃下,香港的朋友可以直接選擇捐款給基金會,亦可以通過捐款WMHK給維基百科,我們籌得善款也會和基金會五五分帳。

而我們希望閣下能通過WMHK捐款,皆因香港維基媒體協會是根據香港法例第112章《稅務條例》第88條獲豁免繳稅的慈善機構之一。因此應課薪俸稅、個人入息課稅或利得稅的個人或業務捐款人,可將在課稅年度的評稅基期內,向WMHK所作出的認可慈善捐款申請扣除,總額最高可達應評稅入息或利潤的35%,但捐款總額不得少於100元。

與此同時,維基媒體基金會是總部位於加州三藩市,根據稅務法典501條(c)(3)款註冊的免稅慈善團體。因此你對基金會的直接捐款,僅能限於在美國向聯邦政府申請入息稅減免,而無法享受香港的稅務減免,因為基金會不是香港的法人團體。

我們相信路人皆知,維基百科靠大家給維基媒體基金會的捐款,才得以生存。從購置更多新的伺服器,到支持全球各地的分會建構,都需要大量資金推動維基媒體的各項發展。

而香港維基媒體協會 (Wikimedia Hong Kong)是本地非牟利的 非政府組織,通過支持各個維基媒體計畫,例如維基百科,以助收集並發布自由知識,並和本地同好組織共同推動自由文化運動在香港的發展。某程度上,我們的指 責是幫助基金會在香港處理本地傳媒、公關和其他外展事務。我們大部分成員都是為協會義務工作,但運作上仍有不少行政費用要支付。

我們現正努力建構網上捐款平台,但我們希望大家可以將善款直接匯到創興銀行的下列帳戶:

  • 戶名: Wikimedia Hong Kong Ltd
  • 號碼: 041-258-20-900305-8

或將抬頭為「香港維基媒體協會有限公司」的支票寄到香港九龍中央郵政局郵政信箱73859號

如有任何查詢或建議,敬請賜電本會外展署行政助理陳柏燊(電話: +852 6623-0937)。

隨函附上本會新近推出的贊助計劃單張一份,若閣下打算長期贊助或支持本會,望及早參與為盼。

特此奉懇,佇候佳音。

香港維基媒體協會
理事會主席  陳予
署理外展署長 黃挺峯 謹啟

www.wikimedia.hk

  • [Cc-hk] Fwd: A Personal Call for Donation to Wikipedia, Haggen So, 12/01/2009