cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] Smartone's HTC Magic printed ad based on CC-licenced work

  • From: Haggen So <haggenso AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] Smartone's HTC Magic printed ad based on CC-licenced work
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:57:33 +0800

Dear all,

This is actually no easily answer in how 'infectious' or 'viral' a CC
image is. It was debated last year in the cc-licenses mailing list
such as

[cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2007-February/005144.html
and
[cc-licenses] ShareAlike extent
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2007-May/005792.html

The official answer seems to be 'just within the boundary of the CC image'.
Anything outside the CC image is not affected. Therefore, it is not
like GPL. Nevertheless, the ad
should still declare that that particular image as CC-licensed with
proper attribution to the origin of the image.

In terms of training, Yuyu, Jansen and I will conduct a workshop for
the company involved as a part of the settlement for infringement of
CC-licensed work on Wikipedia
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-hk/2008-December/000575.html
Other than telling the company all the no-nos, Jansen is recruited to
explain to them the marketing opportunities in sharing on the
Internet. This workshop can be sharpened to become a product.

Regards,

Haggen