cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] HK Film Archive

  • From: Haggen So <haggenso AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jack Qiu <jacklqiu AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-hk <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] HK Film Archive
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:51:30 +0800

Hi All,

The meeting was re-schedule to last Tues and the minutes is attached below:

Date / Time: 23 May (Tue), 11:10 am - 1:15pm
Location: Shum Wai Yau Reading Room
Attendants: Richie Lam, Jack Qiu, Jeromy Yu, Johnny Cheung, Haggen So
Minutes: taken by Haggen

1. Introduction of Creative Commons by Haggen and Jack including
different business models using NC and lower quality formats. The
group also exchanged view on the balance of copyright protection.
2. Richie explained two difficulties that the film archive faced –
orphan films (where the copyright holder could not be found) and no
archive ordinance in HK. Haggen would direct his concerns to Yahong Li
and Alice Lee for professional advice.
3. CCHK could consider the “Film Development Fund”. The Film Archive,
on the other hand, as a service provided by the Leisure and Cultural
Services Department, would not participate. CCHK could consider
collaboration with the film makers of the Independent Short Film and
Video Awards (IFVA). Ms. Teresa Kwong of the Hong Kong Arts Centre
could be contacted for the IFVA details.
4. HK Film Archive could conduct a survey among both film copyright
owners and potential users of these archives regarding the adoption of
CC. The survey results could be then used to serve and structure
future actions. Haggen would forward a softcopy of the RTHK
questionnaire to Richie for his reference.
5. A way to motivate copyright owners ("parents" of orphan films) to
participate. First, selected a small number of prominent old/classic
films with known copyright owners and obtained their approval. Second,
digitized them and even gave them some new features using digital
technology (now many of these old films are not digitized yet).
Finally, these films could then be promoted on a centralized online
platform using CC, which ideally would attract the "parents" of
orphaned films to come out and release their classic works through CC,
for the additional features or simply for the digitization of the
films themselves.
6. Jeromy Yu and Johnny Cheung presented the photo donation from
German Federal Archive to Wikimedia and how HK Film Archive and
Wikipedia could have common interests.
7. Attendants would keep in contact and seek further opportunities for
collaboration. In putting any proposal onwards, copyright matters and
concerns should be well considered.

Regards,

Haggen