cc-es - [Cc-es] "Why I chose Creative Commons for TPB AFK"

cc-es AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons en Espańa

  • From: "David" <aristegui AT nodo50.org>
  • To: cc-es AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-es] "Why I chose Creative Commons for TPB AFK"
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 13:09:19 +0100

El documental sobre The Pirate Bay con BY-NC-ND 3.0

http://www.tpbafk.tv/2013/01/why-i-chose-creative-commons-for-tpb-afk/

You donÂ’t need permission to copy and share my film. But you canÂ’t make
money off it

The documentary TPB AFK:The Pirate Bay Away from Keyboard is a film about
internet culture – and inevitably about sharing information online. The
nature of the problem in the documentary is the paradigm shift of the
internet, where the possibility to share information is out of sync with
the right to share information. By using a Creative Commons license I am
making it legal for the audience to copy and share the film.

Creative Commons licenses are created to help people share culture on the
internet

Creative Commons does not substitute Copyright, it is based on Copyright.
Instead of saying “All Rights Reserved”, it gives creators a tool to say
“Some Rights Reserved”. This allows musicians, writers or filmmakers like
myself to decide how people may use their work by choosing between a few
licenses. I have chosen the license Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivs
which means that people can copy and distribute the film for non
commercial purposes, as long as they attribute it to our production
company Nonami and donÂ’t remix it.

When partnering with 6 TV-networks who had never used a CC-license it was
important for them to secure that competing channels werenÂ’t allowed to
air the film. The Non-Commercial clause solves that. The clause is
problematic however, since it also automatically classifies many small
independent blogs that use google adwords as commercial. Therefore I have
added a clause that letÂ’s me waive the Non-Commercial term to a specific
group of licensees on the condition that such a waiver does not infringe
the broadcasters TV-rights.

SVT nyheterliten

I want people to remix TPB AFK

Since we bought and included around 4 min of archive news material from
the Swedish Broadcaster SVT they wouldnÂ’t allow us to use a license that
allowed remix of the film. Since we love remixing and think itÂ’s an
important part of internet culture we will upload a remix-friendly version
of the film without the archive material. This 4 min shorter version will
be released under an Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike license. We
will also upload the music separately from the video file and throw in our
font to make it easier to remix. IÂ’m looking forward to seeing my film in
new contexts that will create new meanings and spread my work to new
audiences.

To share the film will benefit me as a filmmaker
I make documentaries to change peoplesÂ’ perception of the world. But also
to pay rent, and occasionally eat some Ben & JerryÂ’s. The more people that
see my work, the greater the impact of the film. By sharing the film for
free IÂ’m also spreading my name, which I believe will help me finance my
future films. Furthermore I believe the film will sell better if I make it
available on the many platforms people want to consume it on – even if I
give it away for free as well.

The internet should be used for audience participation
In a media landscape dominated by commercial media, an open license
encourages a culture of audience participation and public conversation. I
donÂ’t want a traditional passive audience that just watches the film, I
want an active audience that can take the film experience in serendipitous
directions. A Creative Commons license will include the audience of TPB
AFK:The Pirate Bay Away from Keyboard instead of excluding it.

  • [Cc-es] "Why I chose Creative Commons for TPB AFK", David, 02/09/2013