cc-education - Re: [cc-education] CC's Education License

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Wouter Vanden Hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] CC's Education License
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 02:25:48 +0100

Op di 02-12-2003, om 01:32 schreef Steve Foerster:

> Anyway, I just took a look at the educational license. After reading it
> I have to ask why it restricts material to non-commercial use. I'd
> think if one were giving away material anyway, it wouldn't matter
> whether someone else made money as long as the material reached its
> widest distribution.

My personal preference is an Attribution-ShareAlike for educational
materials.

The original license Linus Torvalds choose for distributing the kernel
Linux restricted to non-commercial use only.
It is trivial to see that if he would have kept that license, Linux
would be long dead and forgotten by now.

In the short-term BY-SA-NC might probably attract more people, but in
the longer term when courses really aggregate and get mixed, NC
might prove to be a burden.

If BY-SA-NC is called the "CC Education License",
then the BY-SA can be called the "CC Open Education License", with
distribution terms similar like Wikipedia.

Connexions just uses Attribution, albeit somewhere on their site they
say they are copyleft, but it's not in the license.

People at MIT were uncomfortable with other people organising classes to
receive diploma's or credits using the MIT material. But this seems only
a reflex based upon a strong single authorship paradigm.

If MIT-courses were mixed with Wikipedia-articles and Connexions-modules
and other academic courses, and there no one single author
anymore, what would be wrong with using those materials to give
self-learners credit?

So I start advocating the Open Education License, when it's not working
and people object to possible commercial uses, I switch to the normal CC
Education License.

Wouter Vanden Hove
www.opencursus.be
www.vrijschrift.org