cc-devel - [cc-devel] How to XMP-tag an image with a CC licence?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Andrew Smith <asmith16 AT littlesvr.ca>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] How to XMP-tag an image with a CC licence?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:55:00 -0400

Hi everyone

We are trying to write some code that inserts correct XMP metadata into CC-licenced images. I am having a very hard time figuring out what exactly that means. Would appreciate some help from people who've been working with this stuff much longer than me:

First of all, are there any sample images with confirmed valid metadata in them? That would help a lot in trying to figure it out.

Trying to interpret this: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP#Specifying_License_Information

My questions:

* xmpRights:WebStatement sounds to me a little unlikely to be used by anyone. If I read it correctly it's supposed to be a different URL for every single piece of content. Is that what it's supposed to be? If I assume that's not realistic (and I'm definitely not providing one myself) - what should I set it to? Missing? Empty? The url to the CC licence same as cc:license?

* dc:rights I guess I do with this exactly the same thing as the WebStatement in all cases?

* xmpRights:UsageTerms sounds like a human-readable and not machine-readable text. If I don't care about human-readable licence text embedded in my images, what should I do for this field?

* Do xmlns:xmpRights and xmlns:cc need to be in separate <Description> elements as the example on page 18 of CC-Rel? https://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/d/d6/Ccrel-1.0.pdf or can all of these attributes go in one <Description> element?

* cc:license - Where do I get an exhaustive list of links such as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ ? I'm assuming these are forever, will not be deleted or moved? So I can hard-code them in software for comparison purposes?

* cc:morePermissions and cc:attributionURL can be safely left blank if I don't have content for those values?

Basically, in a simple use case where I know the name of the author and the licence to use for the work - what do I set as values for the attributes listed above?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew