cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Missing machine readable notice statement in all CC4.0 licenses

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>, Tarmo Toikkanen <tarmo.toikkanen AT iki.fi>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Antoine Isaac <aisaac AT few.vu.nl>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Missing machine readable notice statement in all CC4.0 licenses
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:04:18 +0100

Hi Mike,

Putting the implications of CC-rel aside you agree that we need to modify that document.

If it were up to you where would you place that RDFa? You indicated that putting it on top of “indicate if changes were made” is not ideal, I agree. But it is the best possible place on the page as it is now, if you ask me. Antoine and I also considered creating an empty span to communicate this RDF, however according to Antoine (who know way more about this than I) search engine consider them spam and might lower the ranking of CC’s pages.

The ideal solution could be to change the explanation from:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made while keeping any notices intact. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

and add the RDFa to the newly added words. That is however something that the lawyers and community need to discuss.

What do you guys think?

Bottom line: as it stands now we provide two machine readable resources that claim different requirements of the licenses, that needs to be fixed.

Best,

Maarten
--
Kennisland