cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Some queries on creative commons license

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Engel Nyst <engel.nyst AT gmail.com>
  • To: Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Some queries on creative commons license
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 18:54:18 +0200

On 11/24/2013 06:10 PM, Shrinivasan T wrote:
If a blogger releases the content under CC, attribution, share alike,
non commercial license online,

if a publisher wants to bring printer version of the book for selling,

what to do?

Ask the blogger for permission.

Is the blogger can provide commercial options for the publisher only?
still making digital content sharing free of cost?

Yes, and yes.

Can you give some links to read on how an author can give different license
for different people for the same content.?

I want my content to be free for all sharing online non commercially.

The author is the copyright holder. You can always give more non-exclusive licenses to the same content. All CC licenses are non-exclusive.

You can give a publisher who asks you, only the right to use commercially for their magazine, for example. You can do that as long as you don't give an exclusive license or equivalent (i.e. as long as you don't sign a contract to sell all your own rights to the content to a publisher).

I don't have links at hand, but you may want to look for the difference between non-exclusive and exclusive licenses.

--
~enyst

"Excuse me, Professor Lessig, but may I ask you to sign this CLA, so that we have legally your permission to distribute your CC-licensed words?"
~ Permission Culture, take two.