cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:18:15 -0700

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl> wrote:
> It indeed looks like the scraper needs a thorough rebuild to be properly
> used in todays internet. One solution to bypass this is to create a tool
> that works on the licensor page, not on the deed page. That way we would be
> able to use the info on that page and not look for referrers.

Yes, that's the idea behind client tools, I guess the latest iteration
of which was OpenAttribute. These days, or rather for many years now,
javascript the publisher could include on their site would be nice.

> Which you could argue is something the Creative Commons should perhaps
> never do in the first place..

I did, long ago, and eventually gave up. :-\

> You are right on the attributionURL, but from a practical position it makes
> it more difficult to have a license in the footer of your page right.
> Because now I need to add logic instead of some static line of code.

attributionURL=""

Empty string is the current page. It does work with the scraper.

This is my favorite kind of enhancement -- gained by only deletion.

Mike