cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:15:09 +0200

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the insights, I didn't realise https doesn't sent referrers. Seems
logical though.

I linked to the Https versions of the licenses now. It was interesting that a
user only now saw this after years of the links being like that. Probably
they don't care like Puneet says.

It seems like you are proposing a good solution, however I would first like
to see how many times we enrich the deed pages per month to see if it is
being used at all. I hardly see an enriched page. Mainly because recently I
tighten my browsers privacy with Ghostery, HTTPSEverywhere and AdBlockPlus.
If many users do this than this whole metadatascraper idea is dead.

I don't know if I totally agree with your statement that creative commons.org
or .nl is a bad attributionURL. If they are reusing the work, than the work
is itself visible in its reuse and original context might not matter. Do you
think an AttributionUrl should be the same as a source url?

Cheers,

Maarten

--
Kennisland | www.kennisland.nl | t +31205756720 | m +31643053919 | @mzeinstra