cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Mr. Puneet Kishor" <punkish AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Interesting problem
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:57:08 +0530

On Sep 27, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Creative Commons Netherlands host our own explanation of the CC-licenses
> onhttp://creativecommons.nl/uitleg/ We have links to all CC-licenses there
> and we license our entire site under a CC BY 3.0
>
> I now got a mail with a question why people need to attribute Creative
> Commons Netherlands when they want to use CC BY 3.0. It turns out that the
> metadata scrapers sees the website license and adds the extra metadatat to
> the deed page.
>
> How come this does not happen at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/ and
> wow would I be able to avoid this?

This is almost impossible to answer without actually seeing the specific
scraper that is making the mistake of combining the un-ported CC BY metadata
with the CC BY NL metadata. That said, when I identify the RDFa on the page
using W3C's N3 bookmarklet, I get

<http://creativecommons.nl/uitleg/>
<?> "article" ;
<?> "Uitleg bij de Creative Commons licenties" ;
<?> "http://creativecommons.nl/uitleg/"; ;
<?> "Van "Alle rechten voorbehouden" naar "Sommige rechten
voorbehouden" Creative Commons biedt auteurs, kunstenaars, wetenschappers,
docenten en alle andere creatieve makers de vrijheid om op een flexi..." ;
<?> "Creative Commons Nederland" ;
<?>
"http://creativecommons.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Schermafbeelding-2012-12-10-om-14.07.28.png";
;
<http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml#license>
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nl/> ;
<http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml#license>
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nl/> ;
<http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionURL>
<http://www.creativecommons.nl/> ;
<http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionName> "Creative
Commons Nederland" .

Doing the same on http://creativecommons.org/licenses/ give

<http://creativecommons.org/>
<http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionURL>
<http://creativecommons.org/> ;
<http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionName> "this site" ;
<http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml#license>
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> .

As you can see, the first one has the URI to the NL version, while the latter
points to the unported version.

--
Puneet Kishor
Science and Data at Creative Commons