cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Interpreting ccREL vocab

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Interpreting ccREL vocab
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:21:54 -0700

Peter has the intent of the vocabulary about right, but of course
unaided machine processing will get lots of cases wrong. So do unaided
humans. A modest but feasible goal is for machines to help humans get
it more right more of the time.

You do need to know the license in order to know how its legal
requirements interact with requested attribution, but
cc:attributionName/URL were intended to interact with license
annotation, with CC license as object use case; otherwise existing DC
terms and others would've been adequate. It may be they're adequate
after all and specifying terms intended to directly facilitate
denoting names and links a licensor wants was foolish. The real world
round trip deployments are lacking to test this, take this as one
will.

It's also worth keeping in mind (as caveat re intent of vocabulary
above) the no restrictions/public domain case. cc:attributionName/URL
might be requests that one cannot be sued for not fulfilling in the
case of a work released with CC0 or annotated with PDM, but a
community may frown on one for not complying with its norms (also see
useGuidelines in the vocabulary). Again it isn't super clear that
specific attributionName/URL terms are the ideal thing here, but I
don't think legal obligation delineates when they are ideal or not
(and if you're tempted to argue that it is the correct delineation,
consider fair use and other exceptions; consider those in your tools,
too).

Mike