cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Legal code and technical implementation: your input wanted

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Legal code and technical implementation: your input wanted
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:34:25 +0200

Hi Diane,

I'm neutral about  being able to embed the legal code into another document, like a scroll box on the deed page.

What I am heavily opposing here is adding an extra layer of formatting to the legal code. Commonplace HTML is fine for the purpose you are referring to here. If you choose for MarkDown or HTML, either way you will need to develop a parser that converts that format to another format. However if you choose MarkDown you will need to write two parsers, for HTML only one: MarkDown to HTML and MarkDown to embeddeable text, or only HTML to embeddeable text. I would choose the latter as it is the way with the most standardisation and least development time. Developers that CC at the moment doesn't have.

I do have to remark that this is an unusual process of requesting feedback. It seems that you have intended functionality in mind, choose a way of implementing that functionality and are requesting feedback only on the implementation, leaving the intended functionality out of the discussion. A more structural way to go about this it so ask us for ways to implement intended functionality and not comment on the consequences of a flawed implementation. That would give a far more constructive discussion and leaves room for creativity.

Best,

Maarten

--
Kennisland