cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Legal code and technical implementation: your input wanted

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Legal code and technical implementation: your input wanted
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:49:59 -0700

<quote name="Kat Walsh" date="2013-04-18" time="00:57:57 +0200">
> We are considering
> an idea to separate the legal code from the non-legal code elements of the
> web page more cleanly, and have the part that is the legal code itself be
> in a separate file that will never change, while the HTML version may
> change elements (such as page navigation) that are not actually part of the
> legal code.

I really don't have much to add to Maarten and Mike's comments here,
honestly.

I like the idea of a plaintext-like base from which everything is
generated, but the only non-HTML markup that would probably be
standardized enough and not proprietary and/or stupid is something like
XML (wait, I did say not stupid....). ;-)

And if we're doing XML, might as well do HTML.

So yeah, barebones HTML, with all basic formatting included (bolding,
section numbering, etc) but with all styling in css/js as appropriate,
where that stuff can change as needed. I guess we trust CC enough to not
use CSS to hide certain parts of the license text ;-)

Also, a reminder as it relates to this topic: the annotation tool and
anchor tags are going to be a part of 4.0, right?

Annotation tool for marking errata and the anchor tags so I can like to
a specific section of the license, eg 4(b).

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| http://grossmeier.net A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |