cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Embedable search.creativecommons.org widget?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Embedable search.creativecommons.org widget?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:25:37 -0500

Hi Maarten,

CC Search does rely on javascript for the most part. However, it will
still work without javascript, as we have some server-side code that
will process a request should the user have javascript disabled. It
should be really easy to create some sort of widget. For example,
inspect the following URL:

http://search.creativecommons.org/?query=flowers&comm=&deriv=&engine=flickr

That will redirect to Flickr, searching for works with the keyword
"flowers" which can be used commercially and modified (i.e. the two
checkboxes on CC Search were both checked). It should be fairly
trivial to create a tiny form with a text box for the query terms, a
couple of checkboxes, and a select box for the content provider, and
then simply submit the form to search.creativecommons.org.

I can create a quick example if you like. Let me know...

Nathan