cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] I want to participate on GSoC 2011

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: elayne <elayne.morais AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] I want to participate on GSoC 2011
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:49:28 -0700

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM, elayne <elayne.morais AT gmail.com> wrote:
I have seen this page (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Developer_Challenges) and I'm interested in building CC into content creation apps.
I wonder why Google Docs doesn't provide CC licensing tools for the documents we create there.
This could be an idea for a project if Google code was open.
As my work is related to education, I would like to work on enabling CC into Sakai or Moodle.
The thing is I would be working on their code, and I don't know if I should apply for a project of theirs or if this is still CC.

In general applying to target project one wants to add CC functionality would be better; CC people will of course be happy to provide advice around the CC part, but much of the actual coding work will always be integration, and "they" (eg Moodle developers) obviously know their software better than "we" (CC) does.

Only if a project has a thriving third party plugin/extension/add-in ecosystem, applying as a project of CC is feasible. The existence of such an ecosystem (eg for Firefox) indicates that it is technically and socially practical to extend software and get real users for the extension.

Mike

--
https://creativecommons.net/ml