cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] License or Copyright

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Thomas Bonte <thomas.bonte AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] License or Copyright
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:05:47 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Thomas Bonte <thomas.bonte AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For MuseScore, an open source music notation program, we plan to add in
> license wizard to help people choose the right license. We were pointed to
> liblicense so that's an option to include into the software, but I have a
> simple question first: in the menu of MuseScore, shall we use 'copyright' or
> 'license'? Currently it's 'copyright' (see attached screenshot) but I
> wondered whether 'license' wouldn't be better. What's your advice on this?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas Bonte

Hi Thomas,

Of course it's somewhat a matter of personal taste, but I'd say you
are right that the word "Copyright" isn't the most adequate. I'd even
say that perhaps "License" may not be quite clear enough, though it's
a certainly not bad and definitely a step in the right direction. I
personally think something more along the lines of "Usage rights"
could be clearer ...

Nathan