cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] How to parse CC license WMP metadata ?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Juan José Marín Martínez <juanj.marin AT juntadeandalucia.es>
  • To: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] How to parse CC license WMP metadata ?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 01:15:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your reply ;)

> The recommendation to check xapRights:WebStatement is sort of
> above-and-beyond the basic inclusion of the license URI. You can
> consider it a "reinforcement" approach to add certainty.

OK, I'll try to add this information if the maintainers of evince agree with.

>I'm not sure
> what your question is WRT to the rdf:li/rdf:Alt/etc; are you just
> asking where xapRights:WebStatement should be located?

Sorry for my cryptical message :). What I was asking for is about the location
of the license text:

<rdf:Description rdf:about=''
xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
<dc:rights>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang='x-default' >This work is licensed under a Creative
Commons Reconocimiento 3.0 Estados Unidos License.</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:rights>
</rdf:Description>

By the way, then xapRights:WebStatement is optional and xapRights:Marked is
compulsory and their locations are:

<rdf:Description rdf:about=''
xmlns:xapRights='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/rights/'>
<xapRights:Marked>True</xapRights:Marked>

<xapRights:WebStatement>http://example.com/pdf-metadata.html</xapRights:WebStatement>
</rdf:Description>

> Yes, it appears that the example is incorrect; the license URI is a
> resource, not a literal.

So then I'll get the license uri from the resource attribute

I have some concerns about the i18n. I think is good enough to only check
xml:lang='x-default' and let the user to get the translated information from
the licence uri. The other alternative is to search for a xml:lang compatible
with the locale, but I'm not quite sure if this work is justified (and evince
maintainers are not quite fond of complex patches :)

-- Juanjo