cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [GSoC2009] Project Ideas

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "TalkOut a.k.a. Nimal" <talkout AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [GSoC2009] Project Ideas
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:35:58 -0400

Hi Nimal,

Great to hear that you're interested. A few details:

There are two OpenOffice.org ideas. One is a port of the Microsoft
developed Office plugin (http://ucsdbiolit.codeplex.com/). We'd like
to be able to tag words as part of an ontology within Writer
documents. Ideally the plugin should be able to consume an arbitrary
ontology, and then we can ship it with a few already included (such as
the biomedical ontology, etc).

The second OpenOffice.org related project is updating our existing
plugin in several ways; see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OpenOffice_Plugin_Updates for an
overview.

The WordPress idea is probably the least well defined at this point.
It'd be nice to extend the WordPress editor to allow authors to add
RDFa to their posts, similar to how they can already mark text as
bold, italicized or linked. Like the OOo Ontology plugin it'd be good
to provide an extensible route for adding vocabulary, but we should
probably ship with support for common things like dublin core metadata
and support for marking up media in the posts.

If you have specific questions about any of these projects, please let us
know.

Nathan