cc-devel - [cc-devel] Using metadata files from CC's SVN

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jim Eng <jimeng AT umich.edu>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>, Greg Grossmeier <greg AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Using metadata files from CC's SVN
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:45:40 -0500

Hi Nathan and Greg,

This is a followup on some earlier messages. I want to use information from the file I found at this location:

http://code.creativecommons.org/svnroot/license_xsl/trunk/questions.xml

This contains the set of questions used in a license chooser. I would like to find this file (or a derivative containing all the same information in another form such as RDF) in a release package or tag rather than in SVN trunk. That would help us keep it up to date as new translations are added or corrections are made.

I have a copy of that file in our SVN in a branch that is not yet on track to be included in a release of our code, but I would like to move it into trunk within the next few weeks. My hope is that I can add a readme file to the directory containing that file and include information about the source of that file and any conditions for its use. An alternative would be to embed that information in the file itself in comments. I suspect the terms would vary depending on whether I get the file from a released Creative Commons product or from your SVN. Can you advise me on that?

I would also like to include the RDF for CC licenses in a future release. I am getting these from the licenses directory of liblicense-0.8.1 retrieved from a mirror of:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/cctools/liblicense-0.8.1.tar.gz

My plan would be to update that set of licenses as you make new versions available. Again I'd appreciate advice about any problems that might arise.

As we discussed in earlier emails, it would be really cool if the CC metadata resources mentioned above were released as a package separate from your software releases but until that happens, I am hoping to work out a way that I can reuse these items and keep them up to date.

Thanks.

Jim

  • [cc-devel] Using metadata files from CC's SVN, Jim Eng, 02/27/2009