cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Documentation for ccHost 4.5?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Victor Stone <fourstones.net AT gmail.com>
  • To: Markus Petersen <markus AT mdev.dk>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Documentation for ccHost 4.5?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:52:43 -1000

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Markus Petersen <markus AT mdev.dk> wrote:
> You are, of course, right. The problem is that our time is constrained
> very much, and the newest release of ccHost seemed very easily
> breakable and not "polished". Suddenly it would stop working after
> just changing the configuration in the administration panel, or the
> uploads would fail without any further notices. We have not
> encountered any of this in 4.5. Normally we would submit a lot of bug
> reports, but in our case, it was just easier to revert to 4.5.
>
> I hope you are not offended by my words. But 4.5 is probably what we
> are going to continue working with. So to come back to my original
> question: is there documentation available for 4.5?

The docs for 4.5 are here
http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/cchost/docs/

for TODAY - but they could easily disappear as that part of the CC
servers are moved around and re-cast any minute.

No one is offended here but I am a little confused - the ccHost 5.0
code has been up and operating on ccMixter for exactly a year (!) and
(trust me) the admin's bang on the admin/config screens a lot!

I'm sorry to hear that you have encountered issues but I can not
encourage STRONGLY enough to just be a little more patient with 5.0
and just report the bugs to the database, or this list or just my
private email and I can bang them out. I would be shocked if they are
anything more than typos or missing 'require()' and other trivial
issues ("trivial" for me, frustrating and time consuming for you, I
understand).

Heed this: Whatever short terms gains you think you are getting from
reverting to 4.5 will cost you in the long run as opposed to 5.x - I
know, I run a big, popular ccHost site ;)

VS